“If you hate your parents, the man or the establishment, don't show them up by getting wasted and wrapping your car around a tree. If you really want to rebel against your parents: outearn them, outlive them, and know more than they do.” - Henry Rollins

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

First work-rant post

Last night I couldn't sleep well. My anxiety was getting to me, and rem escaped me for most of the night. That my roommates set off the fire alarm in the middle of the night, and that someone kept hitting the buzzer to our house at 1am didn't help in the slightest.

Today was possibly my worst day of work so far. Everything seemed to be going wrong. When I clocked in I learned I was not working with my favorite co-worker, as i had thought. That ticked me off. Then I couldn't find my hat, so I used the aforementioned person's. I was castigated for floating initially instead of immediately signing onto a register. When I work my instinct, aside from ringing, is to clean and stock. When there is disarray and abject filth, I want to clean and organize. Instead I rang. I still have trouble knowing when to yell for things and when to do them myself, and I thought a co-worker was angry with me for that, but I talked about it with him later and he clarified that he wasn't angry at all, his voice is simply loud and brusque by nature.

A customer came in and was incredibly snide. I wanted very badly to lay him out. Not wanting, however, to be fired and or charged with felony assault, I quietly counted to ten while he looked on continuing to make rude comments.

Later when there was a lull I cleaned. While cleaning a trash bag leaked and I had to mop. When I grabbed the mop, the mop bucket spilled everywhere, creating another mess to clean. When I finally mopped the trash spill, the mop head broke. When I went to count down my till, the cash drawer fell off the table and the coins went everywhere.
Other numerous small incidents are being excluded. It was my worst day so far.

Work aside, my roommate continues to irk me. Although I thought I had clarified my position on her attitude (I made it clear that I think she is fake and I don't appreciate it) she inquired about work last night. it wasn't the question, it was the tone of voice. She has no intonation, no inflection. It doesn't sound at all genuine. I told her that "I don't like those kind of 'how are you?' questions [from her] because they sound retail." I'm not certain she gets the point. She also never does dishes. Yes, the dish drama, naturally. She is the only one who doesn't do them. Daniel (my friend and her BF) seems to think I am unfairly picking on her. I'm simply trying to be honest.

Also, I came out at work. Again and again. It's always fun.

No comments: